smartgit 6.5 and gitsvnattributes

SmartGit mailing list
is there a way to filter out the content of the .gitsvnattributes directory from the file list?

 Also, I am not sure the appearance of the directory is not a bug. The same exact setup on another machine that is still running version 6.0.6 does not have such a directory.

 the content of the directory is a bunch of files that look like this:

 file name: svnc_svnkit_003aentry_003asha1_002dchecksum
 content: 0ab476b475b156414f099d79be52cedde39e2749

 according to the documentation, svnkit may opt for using files in .gitsvnattributes for storing some SVN properties rather than storing them inline in .gitattributes based on the value size. in this particular case, the size of text stored in each file is only 40 bytes but the file occupies one cluster on the hard drive (4kb in my case). plus the file name, which is 44 characters long, still has to be added to .gitattributes. so if the value size is the main deciding factor it probably should also take into account the overhead of using small files and avoid using the individual files for values smaller than a couple of kb.

Re: smartgit 6.5 and gitsvnattributes

SmartGit mailing list
> is there a way to filter out the content of the .gitsvnattributes directory from
> the file list?

This is not possible, but properties are more or less user-changeable data, so I don't think hiding them is intended.

>  the content of the directory is a bunch of files that look like this:
>

>  file name: svnc_svnkit_003aentry_003asha1_002dchecksum
>  content: 0ab476b475b156414f099d79be52cedde39e2749

This looks strange. Is this problem reproducible when re-cloning the repository? Is the repository public, so we can reproduce that ourselves?

>  according to the documentation, svnkit may opt for using files in
> .gitsvnattributes for storing some SVN properties rather than storing them inline
> in .gitattributes based on the value size. in this particular case, the size of
> text stored in each file is only 40 bytes but the file occupies one cluster on the
> hard drive (4kb in my case). plus the file name, which is 44 characters long,
> still has to be added to .gitattributes. so if the value size is the main deciding
> factor it probably should also take into account the overhead of using small files
> and avoid using the individual files for values smaller than a couple of kb.

That may actually be an overhead. However, storing a lot of, say, 3K attributes, in .gitattributes would make this file a lot bigger and (possibly a lot) slower to process which is worse than occupying more disk space.

> is there a way to filter out the content of the .gitsvnattributes directory from
> the file list?
>

>  Also, I am not sure the appearance of the directory is not a bug. The same exact
> setup on another machine that is still running version 6.0.6 does not have such a
> directory.
>

>  the content of the directory is a bunch of files that look like this:
>

>  file name: svnc_svnkit_003aentry_003asha1_002dchecksum
>  content: 0ab476b475b156414f099d79be52cedde39e2749
>

>  according to the documentation, svnkit may opt for using files in
> .gitsvnattributes for storing some SVN properties rather than storing them inline
> in .gitattributes based on the value size. in this particular case, the size of
> text stored in each file is only 40 bytes but the file occupies one cluster on the
> hard drive (4kb in my case). plus the file name, which is 44 characters long,
> still has to be added to .gitattributes. so if the value size is the main deciding
> factor it probably should also take into account the overhead of using small files
> and avoid using the individual files for values smaller than a couple of kb.

Re: smartgit 6.5 and gitsvnattributes

SmartGit mailing list
> This is not possible, but properties are more or less user-changeable data, so I don't think hiding
 > them is intended.

 the properties might be user-changeable but the problem is that most of the time it is an SVN client who sets those properties (most likely tortoise in this case) and it sets them in large quantities. now all of a sudden I have 300+ files that I don't want/need to see obscuring the files I do care about.

 > Is this problem reproducible when re-cloning the repository?

 yes, I just made a fresh clone and the folder is there

 > Is the repository public, so we can reproduce that ourselves?

 it's not public. I can send you logs though, if this is something that can be captured in the logs

Re: smartgit 6.5 and gitsvnattributes

>  Also, I am not sure the appearance of the directory is not a bug. The same exact
> setup on another machine that is still running version 6.0.6 does not have such a
> directory.
>
>  the content of the directory is a bunch of files that look like this:
>
>  file name: svnc_svnkit_003aentry_003asha1_002dchecksum
>  content: 0ab476b475b156414f099d79be52cedde39e2749

Please give the latest build a try (Help > Check for Latest Build) and create a fresh clone. Now, there should be no more svnkit-attributes.