submodule problem

SmartGit mailing list
hi,
ive created a submodule so i can repo a small php library im writing within a larger website project the parent repo. Following the documentation of submodules on the syntevo site here:
SmartGit - Git Client: Documentation http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/documentation/6.5/show?page=submodules#submodule-working

 SmartGit - Git Client: Documentation http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/documentation/6.5/show?page=submodules#submodule-working Submodules¶ Note This section only applies to submodules of native Git repositories, but not of SVN clones. For SVN repositories, refer to Externals (Normal Mode Only).

 View on www.syntevo.com http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/documentation/6.5/show?page=submodules#submodule-working
 Preview by Yahoo

  ive made external changes to the submodule pages, the edited pages show up in smargit as expected and i comit them ok. I see that i now have to comit changes in the parent project the submodule shows as uncommited - so i then comit those changes - but when i view the actual pages in my editor the submodule (library project) pages are NOT updated. All changes are only present in the submodule which copied the project to a directory within the main project.

 Previous to trying GIT i was struggling by using symlinks i.e. a shortcut copy of the entire project, which is basic 101 but was a close approximation of what i need. submdules seem the way to go but dont work as described in the docs? am i missing somethin here?

Re: submodule problem

SmartGit mailing list
>   ive made external changes to the submodule pages, the edited pages show up in
> smargit as expected and i comit them ok. I see that i now have to comit changes in
> the parent project the submodule shows as uncommited - so i then comit those
> changes - but when i view the actual pages in my editor the submodule (library
> project) pages are NOT updated. All changes are only present in the submodule
> which copied the project to a directory within the main project.

Can you please post a couple of screenshots taken from the Log for your local main repository and the local submodule repository, including a screenshot of the working tree state (Repositories and Files view)?

> hi,
> ive created a submodule so i can repo a small php library im writing within a
> larger website project the parent repo. Following the documentation of submodules
> on the syntevo site here:
> SmartGit - Git Client: Documentation
> http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/documentation/6.5/show?page=submodules#submodule-working
>

>  SmartGit - Git Client: Documentation
> http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/documentation/6.5/show?page=submodules#submodule-working
> Submodules¶ Note This section only applies to submodules of native Git
> repositories, but not of SVN clones. For SVN repositories, refer to Externals
> (Normal Mode Only).
>

>  View on www.syntevo.com
> http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/documentation/6.5/show?page=submodules#submodule-working
>
>  Preview by Yahoo
>

>   ive made external changes to the submodule pages, the edited pages show up in
> smargit as expected and i comit them ok. I see that i now have to comit changes in
> the parent project the submodule shows as uncommited - so i then comit those
> changes - but when i view the actual pages in my editor the submodule (library
> project) pages are NOT updated. All changes are only present in the submodule
> which copied the project to a directory within the main project.
>

>  Previous to trying GIT i was struggling by using symlinks i.e. a shortcut copy of
> the entire project, which is basic 101 but was a close approximation of what i
> need. submdules seem the way to go but dont work as described in the docs? am i
> missing somethin here?

Re: submodule problem

SmartGit mailing list
hi
Thanks for your reply ( Marc) - i had to remove it since i fouled it up completely and could not risk a permanent disaster  - ive gone back to using two separate repos and implementing logic outside of GIT for now. As a noob to GIT it gets too complex at this point.

Much appreciate the reply and i'll post again if i venture into submodule territory again.